But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his son, purifies us from all sin. – 1 John 1:7
In Christian group counseling, each person has something to offer. When the light of the Lord inside of each person is fed, and you come together ready to fight alongside one another, you’ll grow in faith, strength, and gain tools for living a more Christ-filled life.
What is Group Counseling?
Group counseling is essentially just what it sounds like. It’s a form of therapy where people of the same struggle band together to overcome issues that are difficult to bear alone. Group sessions are conducted by a Christian counselor and typically include 4 to 9 individuals. Group sessions are led by the counselor, who will use group therapy techniques and understanding of the issue at hand to direct the group in a way that is most beneficial for everyone. Members of the group also help guide what happens during each session. Sometimes group counseling is used along with individual Christian counseling for added support.
Goals and Purpose of Group Counseling
- Creating a safe place to be 100% completely honest with yourself.
- Strengthening courage to practice more rigorous honesty in all areas of life.
- Connecting with others in a deeper way.
- Building more intentional accountability.
- Receiving authentic and compassionate feedback from others with similar struggles.
- Learning skills for managing negative emotions and behaviors.
- Overcoming symptoms related to the focus area of the group.
- Connecting with self, God, and others.
- Practicing vulnerability.
- Learning and experience genuine empathy for others.
Group therapy at Seattle Christian Counseling is designed to create a safety-net of support so that each person is able to really thrive, even well after counseling ends.